Thursday, February 10, 2011

Offer accepted!!

Long story longer...

We made an offer on a house a couple of weeks ago.  Fannie Mae owns it, so we were hoping to get a good deal.  We knew that no one else was looking at it (or at least that no one had submitted an offer), so we went $20,000 under the list price.  They made a counter offer only $1,000 less than their asking price.  We just laughed!  So, we took our offer up $5,000  but still asked them to pay closing costs.  Again, they came down just another $1,000 and agreed to paying closing costs.  We still weren't willing to pay that much, but we were about to go up another couple thousand.  Here's what happened next...
Our agent tells us that the listing agent said it is now a multiple offer situation, so we could either back out, keep our offer the same, or give our highest price.  We were about to up it by $2,000 and raise our earnest money, but then we decided we didn't want to get into an emotional bidding war.  So, I e-mailed our agent on Tuesday night and told her we weren't going to be submitting another offer.  She called us several times Wednesday morning, but I had work and Ray was still sleeping.  She e-mailed us saying that she was unclear as to whether we were rescinding our offer or just not increasing it.  They need to know by 10 am.  Luckily, Ray got the e-mail in time and called her.  At that time, we were planning on just rescinding the offer, but then she told him that the listing agent said we actually have a pretty good shot if we keep everything the same.  WHAT?! So it goes from a "multiple offer situation" to: "your previous offer would keep you in the game." We went ahead and signed the papers (after the "deadline" because I was at work) and faxed everything over. 
This morning, we both got to sleep in because Ray was off and I had a snow day.  We were lying in bed and I checked my e-mail on my phone.  There was one from our agent. I read the subject line: Congrats! 
They accepted our offer! I definitely feel like we got played, but I'm so glad that we didn't budge.  They still agreed with all of our initial concessions and took our offer, which wasn't even the highest we were planning on going!  
We are so thrilled and of course, very scared, too!  I can't wait to get in and move in.  Hopefully all the inspections and everything will be fine.  Our settlement date is March 31st. 


It's way too much house for right now, but we can grow into it.  ;) And, I must say, it's a heck of a deal!  I can't wait to get moved in and settled. I love "firsts" with my husband!  

4 comments:

  1. That is so awesome, y'all! Congratulations! Now Ray has more space to keep his collectibles! Tink is going to think he's in a mansion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! The house looks great- I love the stone! I'm so excited for you and Ray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!! Yeah, Ashley...I'm glad Ray can finally have a "man cave" for all of his stuff. Haha. Thanks for the text Amy! I got it this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for y'all!! Congrats!! Love you :)

    ReplyDelete